Course – 90 days
Approximately 3 hours
Understanding steel metallurgy involves understanding the effects of alloy composition and steel heat treating processes on the microstructure and properties of steel is critical for:
• Selecting the most appropriate alloy and heat treating process for your application
• Evaluating suppliers
• Developing manufacturing processes
• Solving quality problems
This course teaches 3 key aspects of carbon, low-alloy, and tool steels:
1. The microstructures that form in steel and their effects on steel properties.
2. The microstructure changes that occur when steel is heated and cooled.
3. How steel composition and heat treating processes influence steel microstructure and properties.
Be more productive and profitable
Having a good understanding of what can be done to modify the properties of steel is critical for being more productive and profitable. The information in this course will help you to make better design and manufacturing decisions, solve quality problems, and have productive conversations with suppliers, customers, and engineers.
Approximately 3 hours of instruction divided into 6 easily manageable modules.
EASY TO ACCESS
Participants can access the course 24/7 from any computer with an internet connection.
EASY TO USE
Pause, advance, and rewind navigation features give users complete control over their learning experience.
EASY TO UNDERSTAND
Audio narration, animated graphics and video footage make even the most complex topics engaging and easy-to-understand.
Interactive elements, practice problems, and quizzes facilitate the mastery of concepts and measure content retention.
Course content was authored by Michael Pfeifer, Ph.D., P.E and was produced by Welding Metallurgist LLC.
Please provide support or contact information.
Module 1 – Introduction
Module 2 – Steel Phases
Module 3 – Iron-Carbon Phase Diagram
Module 4 – Phase Transformations I
Module 5 – Phase Transformations II
Module 6 – Course Review
Was this course authored by AWS?
Who should take this course?
Are there any prerequisites to take this course?
How long do I have to complete this course?
Does this course include a completion exam?
Do I need to purchase any other materials?
Do I receive Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for completing this course?
Can I use these Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for recertification?
What are the requirements to pass this course?
• Complete all course modules.
• Achieve at least 70% correct on the course exam.
• Complete the course within 3 months of the course registration date.